run the rock.

i cannot tell you how good i feel - how different my second marathon was compared to my first.  i think there are several different factors but i don't care what they are, they make me feel so fortunate that i'm lucky enough to have the health and determination to run.  yep, i'm already planning marathon number 3 in february.  i had so much fun this go 'round, i cannot wait to do it again.  sounds crazy, right?

i rode to dallas with my running partner and her husband.  this is where i wrote my last blog and thought i was going to die from a broken heart induced from being away from james.  well, turns out - i survived.  honestly, the first thirty minutes was the worst form of torture i could have endured.  after that, and a burger & fries later, i started to feel excitement for the run.  i still missed my baby, obviously, but i didn't feel like i was the worst mother on earth for leaving this past weekend.  i'm so glad i didn't make them turn the car around and take me home.  praise jesus!  the thought had crossed my mind a time or two.

once in dallas, i met up with my friend for some girl talk and got a chauffeur service and bed and breakfast to boot.  she was awesome. i couldn't have asked for more.  plus, i could never survive that traffic.  they all drive like hooligans!  seriously.  we stayed in friday night because this trip was planned around the run so no fun, late nights were to be planned.  well, of course we stayed up longer than we intended but we were good girls.  i woke up saturday to a rolling tummy.  all these thoughts went through my head as to what could be wrong.  nothing specific came to mind but before i could put too much thought into it, i was sick.  like holding my hair and praying to the porcelain gawd sick.  it was awful.  my stomach hurt and i couldn't keep anything down.  not water, not crackers, not anything.  all i could think about was how i was supposed to be carb loading and staying hydrated.  i was doing to opposite.  i honestly couldn't think too much about it because i felt so terrible.  this lasted all morning, until i could take a long afternoon snooze.  once i awoke, i felt a million times better.  though i don't know if i could have felt any worse.  i immediately ate a banana and started drinking water and gatorade.  we got ready, went to the expo to get my race packet and bib, and went to eat some pasta.  i ate like there were no tomorrow.

saturday night i stayed in a hotel.  by.my.self.  oh goodness.  i did not know how this was going to go.  would i be sad?  would i start to miss my sweet james?  well, we took much longer at dinner so my evening was gone and it left only hours to plan, take a bath and get all ready to go for the early hour ahead.  i finally fell asleep about midnight and woke up to the annoying alarm clock at 5 am.  i, of course, hit snooze once.  then i rolled out of bed, turned on the coffee pot, grabbed a banana and bottle of water, and text tera to make sure she was up.  she came over and we got ready for the race and started to get our game faces on.  it was exciting.  we were being taken to the shuttle for a ride to the start line.  there were so many runners.  it was so different and exciting!  luckily we got to meet up with my sweet friend and her mom before the run.  i was hoping to see them but i thought amongst 20,000 other runners, we may not.  but no worries, we did!  yippee!! 

it was cold.  it started out in the 30s.  that means for hours i was just standing in the cold.  luckily i snagged a free poncho and was wearing sleeves and gloves.  at 8 am the national anthem started to play and a hush rushed over the runners and silence stood with our hands over our hearts.  i wanted to cry.  i knew this would be a much more emotional experience for me.  this marathon felt real. i didn't know the course.  it wasn't something i had run almost everyday.  this was different.  i loved the buzz.  i loved the anticipation waiting for my turn to run.  about 45 minutes after the first gun, it was my turn to start.  we got to hear the gun, see the flames, confetti and run.  i started my music and soulshine by gov't mule lead my way.  i loved it.  it started perfect.

we ran through downtown, uptown, the arts district and around white rock lake.  it was so neat to see the buildings and the people who lined the streets for support.  after the second mile mark, i was warming up and dropped the wonder woman, purple poncho.  i was enjoying to scenery and really loving every minute.  about mile 10 we hit white rock lake.  it was so beautiful.  it was windy but i kept my gloves, just in case.  i overheard people complaining about the wind but compared to the route 66, i thought they were wienies and that this wind was just a nice breeze.  we even managed to have two pit crew stops.  the first was around mile 12 and the second was a little before mile 20.  between those two stops i felt great.  i was loving the run.  i had a made up a game and was thoroughly enjoying playing it.  i would pick someone in front of me and make it a point to pass them.  i was picking people off.  green shirt girl, done.  rainbow bright - see ya later.  i was enjoying the challenge.  online it told me that i passed 199 people in the fourth quarter of the run.  ooh, someone in a route 66 shirt - eat my dust.  then it hit me.  i felt so good and warm inside.  i turned a corner and saw the lake beaming in the sun and was overwhelmed with God's love.  with God's light.  with God's strength.  i said a prayer right then and there.  i thanked him for the beautiful weather. for the courage he gave me to train.  for the people who have helped me along the way.  i prayed that this new found strength and confidence would carry me across the finish line.  i prayed for the other runners and for my health.  i thanked him. i am so grateful.

at this same time, my running partner was not feeling the high.  i could tell in her face.  i wanted to share my goodness.  i wanted to give her some of mine.  we were at mile 20 after 3 hours and 37 minutes.  my goal was in reach.  i would meet it.  i felt great.  i deserved it.  and then, we hit the "dolly parton" hills, which were roughly from mile 20 to 23 were up hill.  i felt great but challenged.  i knew this would not help my sweet partner.  at one point she shouted for me to go on, that she would walk.  absolutely not!  we've trained together.  we've been in this together.  i was there to encourage her.  after all, they don't call it the wall for nothing.  for me to make my goal time and not have her cross near me wouldn't have been as sweet.  it wouldn't have been as satisfying.  i pushed her.  i tried my best.  she did awesome!  we did awesome!!  we improved our time by 17 minutes!  i don't know if that sounds like much to you, but it is.  it's pretty much unheard of since we had just run a previous 26.2 miles 14 days earlier.  we came in under 5 hours.  4:57:27.  i am so proud.  i pushed the last three miles because i was not going to come in over five hours again.  i pushed tera because i knew she wouldn't want that either.  i ran those three miles faster than i had run the three previous miles.  i had great music and cruised on.  the moment i crossed the finish line i got my plastic blanket and turned around to find tera.  there she was.  i gave her my blanket and a big hug.  i cried.  we got our medals and i cried.  i made her cry.  victory is so sweet.  white rock was so much fun!  i can say that running that marathon was fun.  i enjoyed every minute of it.  of course, some were better than others, but it made me look forward to my next run.  my next marathon. 

yep.  i wore it around the house last night.  i hadn't seen it since shortly after the run.  rappers have their bling.  i have mine.  so what.  i let james wear it too.  we like it.


  1. I almost teared up a couple of places in that. Your heart was just right out there on the line. Be proud of yourself...you remember this for the rest of your life.

  2. Why do reading your posts about running always make me tear up??? Darn you for making me want to take up running. :o)