10.02.2010

eighteen schmateen.

yes ma'am and thank you!  i ran 18 miles this morning.
this morning my alarm went off at 4:30 am.  i crawled out of bed a few minutes before 4:50.  i knew i needed to start my coffee and start eating my ritual of eating a cliff bar and drinking my cup of coffee an hour before my run would actually start.  it's weird bc i'm not really hungry and those bars are so filling.  i fill like i had to force the whole thing down today because i knew i would need the energy.  once my coffee was ready i curled up in a blanket on the chair in my living room and watch tv until it was time to get dressed and get out the door.  seems odd, right? 
the air was cool and perfect.  it started out chilly but i warmed up quick.  it was dark the first several miles and then we got to see the sunrise over downtown tulsa.  we ran all over.  we made an 11 mile loop through downtown passing the bok center and over to the oneok field.  it was nice.  the last 7 miles would be on my morning turf.  that brought me comfort and confidence.
about mile 13 i started to feel it.  my knees started to shown signs of wear and my feet were feeling the pressure.  but then the most amazing thing happened!  we were passing the park and i heard the pleasant sound of a car horn.  it was mr. h and my baby boy.  i took a quick break and snuck in a few hugs and kisses.  it was perfect.  i told them i would see them again in three miles.  and i did.  they were at the park playing and waiting for me.  it was just the boost i needed.  from that point on i was in pr (personal record) territory.  i've run 16 miles but not 18. 
i was strong the last few miles and my body had a natural rhythm down.  i was on autopilot.  i was completely fine though because i was happy with my natural pace.  i even stepped it up the last two miles.  will power.  i needed it and it came through.  overall i feel great.  tired.  my legs are tired and my feet are sore - especially the end on my toes - but i expected to feel these aches after such a long run.  in a way, they're good pains.  they're pains that prove to me that i can complete my goal of a full marathon in november.  in some ways, it still surprises me.  this is a huge goal for me.  one that is much easier said than done.  it takes dedication to wake up to run three mornings a week before work and to sacrifice my saturday mornings to the trail.
i want to acknowledge that i have the most amazing husband.  he takes such good care of me and james.  he is supportive of my goal and is encouraging during my morning runs.  he takes this time to get one-on-one time with james and they always do something fun.  they go to the farmer's market, the park or on a bike ride.  i couldn't do this without him.  it truly makes me feel so loved.  i know during the actual run they'll be on the sidelines to cheer me on and i look forward to it.  i can't wait to get some drive-by kisses.  i am grateful.
overall, i'm so pleased with my performance today.  it brings me confidence that if i continue to push myself, i'll be ready to run 26.2 miles on november 21st.  i'll be able to run it - not just survive. 
i am ready to play with my baby and have a fun weekend.  there is no other way i'd rather start out this day.  the weather is going to be beautiful and i've still got two days to be with my family.  bliss.  happy 18 mile day to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment