2.05.2011

officially {un}blue.

i'm just going to be honest - the first few snow days were fun.  my work closed and i got extra snuggle time with james.  but then it just kept snowing and, well, i think it made me a wee bit depressed.  cabin fever had set in and the snow kept coming.  i wanted to run.  i wanted to get out some energy.  i feel productive when i run.  so, in absence of running, i feel unproductive. i feel lazy. last week james was sick and i had to slack on running (no complaints. james is first and most important to me) and then again with the snow. i was officially blue.  and not from the cold but from being stuck indoors while my tennis shoes collected dust.

until today. my running group was meeting at 7:45 at the park. i couldn't decide if i wanted to face the snow or go to the gym. after two run buddies encouraged me to run the trail, i gave in but couldn't help but think how stupid i was going to look.  and you know what? i know we looked silly but that is because we were laughing and having an awesome time.

i was nervous at first. i won't lie. you would be too if this were your first obstacle.
yep. that big snow mess was above my waist. the only way to get to the trail was to try to walk across it without sinking and getting stuck or too much snow in your shoes. i did it but i will admit, this is not what i wanted to see before i even started running.

i sent this picture to my husband. we were one mile in and he was inside and snuggled up. i wanted to show him how tough i am. and how pretty i am without makeup. and the frozen river behind me. he liked it.

and we're off.  most of the trail looked about like this. except this is a high traffic area so this is a nice picture absent of any big snow mounds, puddles and ruts. we did however try to hike some of the deeper stuff but had to retreat. 

i wore my running spikes. this was the second time i've gotten to use them in the last year. i think i got my money's worth today. they were awesome. after many laughs, stumbles and good times, we called it a day and ran about 10 miles. this was a much needed run for me. it turned my mood around and sent the blues packing. i'm so grateful for people who enjoy my company and encourage me to do something challenging. running in the snow was hard. my legs got a good workout and my lungs appreciated the fresh air. 

my saturday started so good. i ran and went to startbucks where, get this, i got to pay it forward! do you remember this story? well, it felt awesome. it gave me an indescribable buzz. i just thought, man i am lucky. i was behind a nice lady in line and she ordered two cups of coffee and handed over some cash. i wasn't really paying attention until i heard the sb employee say i'm sorry we don't accept those. do you have any other cash? so, i looked. she was trying to pay with a hundred dollar bill. she replied no and i think everyone expected him to take her money but he refused. i was inches away and just said "no worries. i got it." it just came out. i didn't even have to think about it. thought i think both the employee and woman were in shock. i knew it was meant to be. her and her husband were so thankful but honestly, it just made me feel good. i got to pay it forward! i've been waiting and had the perfect opportunity. it was there just so perfect - it had my name written all over it. and had a pretty bow attached. life is good. 

today was good.



No comments:

Post a Comment